A fantastic opportunity for you to take part and read some of the best books around…
• visit http://www.leedsbookawards.co.uk to find out more about the shortlisted books in our three categories (9-11, 11-14, 14-16)
• borrow the books from your local library, read and decide which is your favourite
• post your review on the website – have your say and see what others think!
• vote at your local library before Friday 29 April to make sure your vote counts
Find out more at http://www.leedsbookawards.co.uk! Start reading and most of all…have fun!
The First Chapter of a Mystery ghost story set in Leeds by author Tom Palmer goes live to Leeds primary schools on Friday 26th February!
Many teachers ask how can they get their pupils to enjoy reading and want to continue to read. To help with this, Leeds School Library Service has worked with local author Tom Palmer, and come up with a unique interactive story set in Leeds, with places pupils will recognise. The pupils are challenged to interact with the story in a way they’ve never been able to before!
The story called LOIDIS LEDES LEEDS is a FREE 5 part weekly mystery ghost story for children in Years 4, 5 and 6.
All schools have to do is log into http://www.tompalmer.co.uk/leeds-SLS
Each Friday a new chapter lasting 10- 15 minutes will be released online at 9am http://www.tompalmer.co.uk/leeds-SLS
Each chapter will end with a challenge for school children to find out about the history of Leeds. If they take up the challenge pupils will have to find an Iron Age fort, a Viking cross, a Roman coffin and proof that the Anglo Saxons settled in Leeds.
DIARY the dates now!!
Chapter One Friday 26 February 2016
Chapter Two Friday 4 March 2016
Chapter Three Friday 11 March 2016
Chapter Four Friday 18 March 2016
Chapter Five Wednesday 30 March 2016
On 18th March after the Chapter Four, Tom will invite pupil’s to have a go at writing their own stories based in Leeds. The winner of the competition will have their story read by local author Tom Palmer on his website http://www.tompalmer.co.uk/leeds-SLS and a visit to your school.
• Open to Leeds pupils only in years 4 5 and 6
• One entry per school – Schools are invited to shortlist and send in their one best entry
• The story must be set in Leeds
• The story must be the child’s own, but it may have been completed in class.
• There is no minimum limit on words but the story must be no longer than 500 words
• Deadline for entries is Wednesday 20th April 2016
Follow us on twitter @LeedsSLS #LeedsStory @TomPalmerAuthor
Any schools interested or for further information please contact Pauline Thresh SLS Manager 0113 3782677 email@example.com